Parents, if you want wonderful pictures of your children, never teach them to say "cheese"! Please learn from my mistake or you will have thousands of photos just like mine - squinted eyes, scrunched up noses, clenched teeth, and an image that just screams "say cheez!!!". Join me while I search for that one perfect shot that doesn't conjure up images of dairy products. Oh, and unless you like that *messy* look, you'll probably want to clean their faces before you snap away. I never seem to remember myself.

An imporant sidenote is to make sure you document your life! Recording the little details of the who, what, where, when, & why makes for wonderful stories and captures your life for years to come. Because if you are like me, you'll forget it all 5 minutes later!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

So you won't miss me mommy

My ds started kindergarten a couple of weeks ago. While waiting for the bus to arrive on his first day of school, he picked this "flower" for me. He thought it would be a good way for me to remember him and said "this is so you won't miss me while I'm gone".

My settings were TV mode, SS 200, f/3.5, ISO 100. 24-70L lens at 70mm. The first is shot in RAW, SOOC. The second is PS'd - processed the RAW file, then defoged at 20/60/0. I adjusted curves, +contrast, then lasso'd the eyes to adjust curves to lighten them a bit. I then burned in the edges. CC please!

I know for a fact that my exposure reading in my camera said this was the correct exposure. I'm thinking my XT is underexposing a bit...maybe time to get a new camera? :-) I've only been shooting in RAW for a short while now, for the past 3+ years I've always shot in jpeg...so since the camera was making adjustments I never noticed the underexposure. It is really bothering me now as I don't like doing much pp'ing. Plus, many of my images that I post online now are looking pixelated...even though they don't look that way in adobe or when I print. Don't know what that is about. Getting a little annoyed!



11 comments:

Trisha said...

What a cute face he's making! And a cute story to go along with it!

Krystle said...

How sweet of him to give you a "flower"! I think you did a great job with your pp on this. It may just be me and the time, but I see some noise. Maybe despeckle and see if that does the trick.

lcp said...

Krystle - I think you are right about the noise. Lately when I've been posting images online that I've postprocessed, they've looked a little grainy even though they don't like that way in adobe or when I print them. ????? Is despeckle the same as noiseware? Thanks! And thanks for your comment trisha!

flute4peace said...

I'm beginning to think that all of the Rebels have an underexposure problem. Frustrating, for sure! You did a good job of lightening it up, though.

Your picture of NYC is stunning!!

Mom2Drew said...

Oh, and its not just the rebels;) My 20D has the same problem, you're in good company.

Sue said...

How sweet is that! He is so cute :) Great job lightening it up.

Tera Fraley said...

Aww, how sweet!! Love how you brightened it!!

Tori said...

My 30D underexposes, too. I usually have the exposure compensation set to +2/3, even +1 sometimes. It's definitely not just you. :-)

How sweet of him to give you a reminder gift!

Lorrie said...

great job brightening the picture. how sweet is it when your little ones give us flowers? I love it!

Deb said...

awww. This is adorable and your pp'ing is great. My Nikon also underexposes although I've read on "Ken Rockwell's" site that it doesn't.

amazing grace said...

great before and after! like your pp'ing...:)

leah